MediaTek Helio G90 Series
MediaTek has been losing a lot of its market to Qualcomm and it’s been very rare to see a phone sporting MediaTek. MediaTek has just released a new gaming focused G90 series, with two variants, one being slightly better thanks to little higher clocks.
The latest series is based on the pretty dated 12 nm process just like the P90 chipset, It’s an octa-core with 2x Cortex-A76 and 6x Cortex-A55, even the ARM Mali G76 GPU is the same but it sports only 4 cores over 10 in P90. The GPU performance should see significant boost from the previous generations, it also comes with a slew of gaming enhancements under its HyperEngine Game Technology moniker.
This new budget gaming SoC offers a lot of options to the OEM and makes it feasible to game with a lower budget. It is facing it off with the recently released Qualcomm Snapdragon 730G, according to some benchmarks it beats the 730 but falls slightly behind when compared to Kirin 810.
|Specifications||Helio G90||Helio G90T|
|CPU||2x ARM Cortex-A76 up to 2GHz + 6x ARM Cortex-A55 up to 2GHz||2x ARM Cortex-A76 up to 2.05GHz + 6X ARM Cortex-A55 up to 2GHz|
|GPU||ARM Mali-G76 3EEMC4 up to 720MHz||ARM Mali-G76 3EEMC4 up to 800MHz|
|Camera||3x ISP48MP @30fps24+16MP @30fps||3x ISP64MP @22.5fps24+16MP @30fps|
|AI||2x MediaTek APU up to 750MHz||2x MediaTek APU up to 750MHz|
|Voice Wakeup||Single wakeup word||Dual wakeup word|
|Memory||LPDDR4x up to 8GB, 2133MHz (4,266 GT/s effective)||LPDDR4x up to 10GB, 2133MHz (4,266 GT/s effective)|
|Storage||UFS 2.1; eMMC 5.1||UFS 2.1; eMMC 5.1|
|Display||Up to 2400 x 1080, Full HD+, 21:9||Up to 2400 x 1080, Full HD+, 21:9|
|Display Refresh Rate||60Hz||Up to 90Hz|
|Modem||4G LTE Cat-12 (DL) / Cat-13 (UL) (FDD/TDD), 4×4 MIMO, 3CA, 256QAM, HUPE, IMS (VoLTE/ViLTE/WFC), eMBMS, Dual 4G VoLTE (DSDS), Global Bands, TAS 2.0||4G LTE Cat-12 (DL) / Cat-13 (UL) (FDD/TDD), 4×4 MIMO, 3CA, 256QAM, HUPE, IMS (VoLTE/ViLTE/WFC), eMBMS, Dual 4G VoLTE (DSDS), Global Bands, TAS 2.0|
MediaTek stressed a lot on their HyperEngine gaming optimisations, which should improve the overall gaming experience:
- Networking Engine: The networking engine has been optimised to switch over to LTE when it detects degrading wifi connection. This in turn promises a seamless gaming session.
- Rapid Response Engine: Touch acceleration to improve in-game action-to-display speeds.
- Resource Management Engine: Intelligent redirection of device resources like CPU and GPU for optimum performance.
- Picture Quality Engine: Brings support for HDR10 standard with 10-bit Color Depth for vivid visuals on HDR-enabled smartphone displays.
- Dual WiFi Connection: Allows a single smartphone antenna to be connected to two WiFi bands (2.4GHz/5GHz) or two routers simultaneously. This promises to ensure a reliable connection, decrease latency and reduce game jitter.
- Call and Data Concurrency: Allows the data connection to remain active in an incoming call, so you can defer the call without getting thrown out of the game because of your inactive connection.
Xiaomi has announced that their next phone will be equipped with a G90, at a good price G90 could be an amazing pick in this competitive market.